Thursday, March 12, 2009

Weight Watchers Chicken Gumbo

Yet another recipe from my BFF.... she's doing something right when it comes to eating right... -63 lbs!! :) I can't wait to try this one!


WW Chicken Gumbo
serves 4

Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet and add two thinly sliced onions...cook until softened about 5 minutes

put the onions in a 5-6 quart slow cooker and stir in
4 skinless boneless chicken thighs trimmed and cut into chunks
3 cups thawed frozen or fresh okra (we didn't have any, so I had a cup of corn and a cup of green beans both frozen, I just threw it in)
1 14 1/2 oz can of petite diced tomatoes
5 celery stalks with leaves sliced (I used only 3)
3 garlic cloves peeled

In a separate bowl wisk together
1 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne
( I actually used a creole seasoning...just sprinkled some in until I thought it was good rather than the salt and cayenne)

Add that and then cook until chicken is fork tender 4-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low...

I just made some brown rice and a serving is 1/2 cup of rice with 1 cup of stuff!! I also added RED HOT SAUCE to the mixture...I could have had a little more heat, but it was good both as dinner and lunch the next day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment